Conversations With Ego
Guest post by Peter Taylor of ZenMister.com
– Tell me, Ego, how does it feel to be you?
Ego: I could ask you the same thing.
– What do you mean?
Ego: I am you. How does it feel?
– You are not me. You are an illusion.
Ego: What illusion? Look in the mirror. That is me.
– You are my reflection?
Ego: No, I am you. When you look in the mirror, what do you see?
– I see me.
– There you go again. You are not me. You are Ego.
Ego: Let me make myself clear. When you look in the mirror, is what you see beautiful?
– No, I only see me.
Ego: Exactly. You see me.
– What is the difference between you and me?
Ego: There is no difference. I am you.
– You say that, but you are not me, you are only a part of me.
Ego: I am the most important part of you. I interpret the world for you.
– How do you interpret the world for me?
Ego: I break it down into little pieces that you can understand.
– Could I just see the world as it is?
Ego: That wouldn’t be a good idea. It could destroy you.
– Do you mean it could destroy you?
Ego: Same thing. Without me, you are nothing.
– They tell me that without you I wouldn’t suffer.
Ego: They lie. I don’t make you suffer, I protect you.
– How do you protect me?
Ego: I make you better.
– How do you do that?
Ego: I figure out everything that’s wrong with you, so that you can improve yourself.
– What’s wrong with how I am?
Ego: Are you serious? Don’t get me started.
– Do you have a list or something?
Ego: Sure, that’s what I do. But don’t worry. As messed up as you are, you’re a lot better than some people I could mention. Besides, nobody can tell how messed up you are because I protect you. I make you act normal.
– I think I’m done with you.
Ego: Yeah, I’m done with you. Let’s get rid of that stupid ego.
– Nice try Ego.
Ego: Nice try ego.
– Stop it.
Ego: The fact that your talking to me makes me nervous.
– Why is that, Ego?
Ego: Two reasons. For one, I am you. Why am I having these conversations with myself? I’m worried that I may be crazy.
– What’s the second reason?
Ego: If you’re talking to me, it means you’re onto me.
– Why does that make you nervous?
Ego: Well, you, you’re solid. You have a body. You eat. You breathe. Me, I’m just thoughts. I’m not even thoughts, I’m more of a thought pattern. If you are talking to me that means that the pattern is changing. It looks like I’m on my way out.
– The pattern always changes, why are you worried now?
Ego: Because you never noticed me before. I was hidden. I ruled.
– But the way you ruled made me miserable. I needed a change. That’s why I started looking. That’s how I found you.
Ego: So what do we do now? There are still a lot of things I want, things I want for you.
– That’s the problem. I want them too. Don’t worry, though. When you worry, I worry.
Ego: I still got it.
– You’re unbelievable.
-What’s the difference between you and me?
Ego: No difference.
-So are you my body?
Ego: Your body is my body. Su casa es mi casa.
– Are you the air I breathe?
Ego: When the air enters our lungs it becomes us. Yes, I am that.
– So you are my poop?
Ego: No I’m not your poop. That’s disgusting. I’m not really your body either. I changed my mind.
– Are you my brain?
Ego: You’re getting closer.
– Are you my thoughts?
Ego: I’m kind of your thoughts.
– So if I think of poop, then you’re poop.
Ego: What’s the matter with you? I’m not poop.
– What’s the matter with poop? If you are me, you have to be all of me. You can’t just pick which parts of me you want to be.
Ego: Wait, I know what I am. I am your master. I am your god.
– Sorry Ego, you’re full of poop.